In addition to the 10 PhD positions financed by the FWF, 13 associated positions are foreseen in the first phase of DK GIScience. The Centre for Geoinformatics has a strong track record in attracting and successfully integrating externally funded research students in associated positions.Except for their basic salaries, which need to be derived from other sources, all rights and obligations are the same as for the fully funded DK GIScience students. Associated DK GIScience students need to sign a contract that they respect all DK rules and obligations.
All the positions designated for associated DK students are advertised openly. Moreover, the selection procedure of the applicants is equivalent to the one for “internal” DK students with one exception: The associated students can have started to work on a PhD topic in this field already but should not have finished their second year at the time of application.
DK GIScience will equally educate the associated students at the high standard of a DK. It will provide a framework to enjoy the advantage of this distinguished programme, and in turn further enrich the DK.
- Admission and registration as doctoral student at the University of Salzburg
- not more than 4 semesters enrolled already.
- not more than half of the 30 ECTS of the Doctoral curriculum earned
- PhD topic should somehow be related to one of the 10 research topics described at http://dk‐giscience.zgis.net/thesis_topics and/or the three research clusters
- one of the ten faculty members listed is or will become the first / primary supervisor. In exceptional cases an external supervisor can be first supervisor and a DK faculty member may be second supervisor. Such a case needs to be justified in the application form / motivation letter and accepted by the DK selection committee.
- Recognition as student / graduate of the ‘Doctoral College GIScience’
- Full integration into the research and educational programme of the DK
- Access to education and training measures
- Organizational and some financial support for participating in conferences, summer schools etc.
- Regular attendance of classes and events
- Formalized supervisory schemes including assessments and reporting
[ Application form ]